The NBA Accreditated Department of Biomedical Engineering, one of the first nationally, was established in 1983 to provide an undergraduate program in Biomedical Engineering (BME).
The comprehensive, interdisciplinary curriculum provides a solid foundation with critical understanding of engineering principles and focuses on closely integrated laboratory experiences. The strength of our department is well equipped laboratories and sophisticated biomedical equipments, demonstration equipments, trainer kits which help in simplifying the basic working and design principles
The faculty is committed to provide high quality education, research and industrial opportunities and mould students to become well rounded citizens, leaders and successful practioners of BME. The faculty pursues higher education, organizes and attends various International and National conferences, seminars, summer/winter schools and workshops to keep a track of recent developments. They also remain updated with current technologies by attending installations, demonstrations, and maintenance of various sophisticated medical equipments in hospitals and industries. The faculty has undertaken consultancy with various reputed companies.
To develop a receptive and scientific temper, the students are encouraged to give class-presentations on recent technologies. Students are encouraged to attend seminars and guided to present papers, posters and project competitions at various National and International levels.
Experts from industries, hospitals and research institutions are regularly invited to deliver lectures. Visits to different hospitals and industries are arranged for students to demonstrate modern era sophisticated Biomedical Equipments.
Graduates of the department are placed in reputed industries, hospitals, academic and research organizations. Most of students pursue higher education in India and abroad. The alumni are holding esteemed positions in reputed companies, hospitals and research organizations in India and abroad. With the futuristic vision of the requirements of Healthcare industry, some of them have become successful entrepreneurs thereby contributing to biomedical domain in India. Also some of the Alumni have joined as faculty in the Department.
- To shape and advance the discipline of Biomedical Engineering through innovative research and inspiring education, with the goal of comprehensive integration of engineering methods into the mainstream of health care.
- Attracting motivated students to carry out research resulting in breakthrough technologies.
- Initiate students to entrepreneurship training program to evolve as ‘Techpreneur’ in Biomedical Engineering field.
- Establishing a cell to integrate emerging technologies with Biomedical engineering.
- Publishing papers in international journals in the field of Biomedical Engineering.
- Starting an incubation centre for leveraging prototype models of cost effective Biomedical equipments internationally available without infringing upon intellectual property rights and patents.
- Adopting modern educational tools and practices to make learning more effective and relevant
- Extensive in-service training to make all teachers/ instructors abreast with newer research finding and instructional
Transcending to a high quality research driven Biomedical Engineering department with excellence in graduation and to perpetuate supply chain of human capital to support the business growth of Bio Medical equipment manufacturers to make these equipment pervasive and ubiquitous in the world.